Thursday, October 1, 2009

Make me over

I like make-up. A lot. I could easily lose myself for hours in either a Sephora store or their website. I think maybe it's sort of an aspirational thing, where you always think you're going to stumble across one product that's going to change your life, but even if it doesn't, at least whatever you buy will be pretty and fun and make you feel a bit more glamorous for a few days.

Even though I love make-up, I by no means consider myself an expert at applying it. I usually end up with not enough blush and way too much eyeliner. I'll admit it - I've got an eyeliner addiction. I feel like I don't look like myself without it. And I know that I probably apply it a smidge too thick. Take a look at this goofy photo below (which The Backyard Groom took and loves, for some silly reason) for evidence:


As much as I like the way my eyeliner looks in the mirror, it doesn't always photograph well. Sometimes instead of defining my eyes, it just makes them look smaller. I don't want that to happen in my wedding photos. So, I'm trying to decide if I should hand my make-up duties off to the professionals (which means $$$) or just go to MAC or Sephora for a tutorial and learn how to do it myself.

Either way, I know I need to have some inspiration photos on hand of make-up I like that emphasizes the eyes without too much eyeliner. So I did a trusty old Google search for the two celebrities who first came to mind when I thought of people with light eyes, light skin and light hair.

Here is Amanda Seyfried:


She is just gorgeous, and I like the way her eyes stand out without being all smoky. Here is another example.


The second celeb is Claire Danes. I really like the way she's able to balance bright lips but still have her eyes as the dominant feature.

I think the make-up in this next photo isn't as dramatic as what I want but I do like her updo.


What do you think about my make-up inspiration? Any suggestions on how to get the look I want?

2 comments:

  1. Jesus it's back – I swear that Blair Witch shot of you moves.

    Love Claire's red carpet look, but why not experiment with your eye makeup...etc and upload pics? We, your audience, can be your personal [online] style consultants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! He finally took it off the PS3 so after I complained about it forever, I kind of miss it now.

    Good idea on the eye makeup pics! I got talked into some new mascara today at the drugstore (I knew they did that at department stores but I didn't expect to get that kind of pressure at Walgreen's) so I'll have to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete