Monday, August 31, 2009

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

Even though The Backyard Wedding is by no means as big and complicated as most weddings, I still manage to let myself get overwhelmed by all that we have left to do. And plan. And buy. Oh, the buying.

Of course, the nightmares don't help the stress, but I think a good chunk of that overwhelmed feeling probably stems from wanting to think about the wedding and read wedding blogs and twirl in my wedding dress while all the responsibilities of my full-time job, freelance work and everyday mundanities keep pulling me back to the ground. It's a tug of war, and I desperately want happy fun wedding thoughts to win. But when they do, I end up feeling guilty for neglecting everything else, which tempers the happy fun part a little bit. On the other hand, when responsibilities give wedding planning the heave-ho, I feel like my head and heart aren't always 100% in them, like I'm suffering from that oh-so-prevalent "bride brain" affliction.

So there are decisions left to be made, things left to be bought and responsibilities that have maybe been a little neglected. Those all contribute to the stress. But more than anything, Tom Petty was right -- the waiting is the hardest part. I've got just a smidge over two months to go before this shindig, and sometimes it feels like I can't wait anymore. I want that day to be here NOW. And honestly, it's not even so I can wear the dress or see how The Backyard looks all dolled up or add another piece of bling to my finger.

All I really want is to be married to The Backyard Groom.

When our wedding day rolls around, our engagement will have lasted just a tick under nine months, which is short compared to most. I'm not sure if I could make it any longer than that.

Until that day, I'll fill my time with planning, doing, buying and an unwinnable game of tug of war.

Are you playing the waiting game?

No comments:

Post a Comment