Monday, April 27, 2009

THE Backyard: A Virtual Tour

I wouldn't be The Backyard Bride without this particular backyard, belonging to The Backyard Groom's generous mom. The original idea of posting photos of the backyard included carefully planned shots of each area and descriptions of how it would be used in the ceremony, but shortly after I took I out my camera, the pizza arrived and I was too distracted by the smell of hot cheesy goodness to get worthwhile shots of important things, like the covered flagstone patio (our MVP) that will serve as the area for guests to sit during the ceremony and later on transform into the dance floor, not to mention step in as the alternate reception site in the event of rain. I also forgot to get a good shot of the grassy section where we'll set up the tables for dinner. Sorry about that. Also, these pictures were taken before sunset, and it will be much darker for our ceremony and reception.

Without further ado, here is how a small (but lovely) suburban backyard will become our perfectly intimate wedding venue.

First up is the pergola that we will be married under. (Before we started planning, I never knew a garden arch was properly called a pergola. I always called it a trellis or an arbor. Apparently I was wrong. At first, I didn't like the word because it sounded so formal, but then I thought about how Blanche, Rose and Dorothy [We'll miss you, Bea Arthur!] always called their porch a lanai, which made a boring old porch sound so glamorous. So I have embraced the pergola. )



The pergola is made out of a wood similar to driftwood that I've forgotten the name of (ooops!). The Backyard Future Mother-in-Law has one simple strand of twinkle lights at the top right now, but we'll be adding more all over it. The Backyard Groom, our officiant (more on that to come) and I will all be standing underneath it for the ceremony.

This is the one huge live oak tree in the yard. We will be lighting it up with lanterns and twinkle lights and probably running strands of lights from it to the roof of the house.



This shot from inside the pergola shows the sidewalk and fence to the side. The Backyard Groom will be standing here under the pergola when I come through the fence and up the sidewalk to meet him. We're looking into ways to add lights along the makeshift aisle, probably with small lanterns like luminarias or shepherd's hooks holding candles.


This side yard is where we will set up the food tables and the bar. Whatever we end up serving, we plan on doing it buffet style so this is where our guests will get their grub. We'll add more lights over here and set candles on all the tables. FMIL is also training some climbing roses to cover this smaller arch.


In this shot, you can see the pergola and a bit of the covered flagstone patio where our guests will be seated for the ceremony. That big clay pot is actually a fountain that will provide some nice ambient noise during the ceremony.


I will try to get over there and take more shots soon. There are gorgeous rosebushes and other plants that were overlooked as a result of my urgent need for pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment