Sunday, July 26, 2009

Love, Hollywood Style

Last night The Backyard Groom and I went to see "(500) Days of Summer" (and loved it!). As a bride highly attuned to all wedding references, I really loved the look of the wedding Tom and Summer attended in the movie. I couldn't find a good photo online from it (this is going to be the theme of this post, unfortunately), but you can watch a clip from it here (courtesy imdb.com) and see all the pretty lights.

Lights, as I've mentioned before, are big with me. In fact, pretty white twinkly lights and glowing candles are my biggest inspirations as far as decorations go. I've never really come around to the whole inspiration board idea that so many brides create. I could understand the need for it if we were having a big wedding, but since there will be very few flowers, no wedding party dresses to coordinate and a complete lack of paper goods aside from our invites (which I will be blogging about soon), it seems unnecessary for us.

Since The Backyard Groom and I are big movie and television fans, it seems natural for me to draw our inspiration more from that arena. (I apologize in advance for how inconsistently sized these images are. I got a new computer and am sadly without Photoshop for the time being.)

One cinematic wedding I really dug (after Non-Bridesmaid R said it reminded her of our style and I gave the movie another look) was the one from the end of "In Her Shoes" with its casual outdoor feel and dancing under the lights and trees. The only screen cap I could find was from the ceremony, but you can see some of the lights in the background and the chuppah, which is similar to our pergola. I also really like her simple bouquet.


I haven't seen many lighted pergolas (used for weddings or otherwise), but gazebos strung with twinkle lights are pretty common in movies and television. My favorite will probably always be the gazebo in the center of Stars Hollow from "Gilmore Girls." With all the wacky festivals that town had at the gazebo (including a Rennaissance Faire-themed wedding, no less), I should have been able to find a good pictures to serve as an example, but this is the best I could do. See the twinkly lights in the background? Pretty, pretty.



Here is one cinematic gazebo I didn't have a problem finding a photo of, which shouldn't really be a surprise.


The Backyard Groom would probably roll his eyes to know I was associating "Twilight", the silliest pop culture juggernaut of our time, with our wedding in any way, but I think even he would have to admit that the gazebo above is lit beautifully.

One source of inspiration I know he wouldn't object to would be from one of our favorite movies of 2008, "WALL-E."



I love all the strands of Christmas lights WALL-E decorates his little home with. He's such a romantic little robot.

Did any movies inspire your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment