Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Are You Afraid of the Dark?


Does anyone else remember that show from the original Snick line-up on Nickelodeon, alongside "Clarissa Explains it All" and "Roundhouse"? Just thinking about those shows makes me feel old.


Anyway, to answer the show's titular question, yes, embarrassingly enough, I'm afraid of the dark. (In fact, I'm kind of a scaredy cat in general as you know if you read my fear of flying post.)


I haven't always been though. There were a few years when I lived by myself and didn't get scared at all after the sun went down. But after spending the last couple of years shacking up with The Backyard Groom, I get a little apprehensive whenever I'm alone overnight in our apartment. Luckily for me, his job doesn't require a lot of travel, but every so often he does have to go out of town.


So what has changed to spark the fear? Absolutely nothing. I guess I just got used to having someone else around at night, and now when I'm alone, the apartment feels so empty. (Especially now that my cat is no longer here.) It's all just another example of how different life is when you reach this stage of permanent coupledom versus when you were a singleton.


But there's a flip side to having the apartment to myself, and that's what I try to focus on whenever the nighttime nerves nag. When The Backyard Groom is gone, I'm free to engage in my secret single behavior, a phrase coined by none other than Ms. Carrie Bradshaw (who has contributed so much to the cultural lexicon that we should be forever in her debt). Carrie's SSB was eating saltines while standing up in the kitchen reading fashion magazines. Mine is eating cereal for dinner and rewatching cheesy chick flicks in my sweats.


What's your secret single behavior? And do you get scared at night when your Mr. is gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment