Friday, June 19, 2009

Holy Birthday Cake, Batman!

The Backyard Groom's birthday was yesterday. Normally I would make him a cake, because even though I am by no stretch a good cook, I do love to bake (mostly because I get to lick the spoon after). But this year I decided to surprise him.

When we met with Angi at Blue Note Bakery and booked her for our wedding cake, she told us that she did cakes of all sizes and for all types of occasions aside from weddings. I remember at the tasting thinking her chocolate cake with chocolate filling would be perfect for The Backyard Groom's upcoming birthday. Then somewhere between starting a new job and obsessing over the flight for the trip we just returned from, I forgot about the idea completely. Until the day before his birthday.

I knew it was a long shot, but I emailed Angi, apologized for the last minute request and asked if she could make something small for my favorite guy. I told her he loved the chocolate cake and filling from the tasting and also anything relating to Batman. She got back with me immediately and said it was no problem.

On the big day, I went down to Blue Note Bakery and picked up this box.


I literally squealed when I saw what was inside.



(It's hard to tell in this iPhone photo, but the icing on the cake is bright yellow with black trim. Both colors are honey-flavored fondant and beyond delicious.)

I knew he would love it. And he totally did. He said it was the best birthday cake he'd ever had, both in looks and in taste. Now we've gone from not caring about having a wedding cake to ecstatically looking forward to chowing down on ours. Thanks, Angi!

No comments:

Post a Comment