Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Hangover from "The Hangover"

The Backyard Groom and I see a lot of movies. Now that I'm planning a wedding, I pay way more attention to all the movie weddings, no matter how peripheral the nuptials may be to the plot. In The Hangover, the wedding isn't exactly a huge plot point, but obviously the movie wouldn't exist without the bachelor party before the wedding.


It's a hilarious movie, and I'm not trying to take anything away from that (even though if I had a gripe, it would probably be that the chicks in the movie range from, at best, a sweet kooky hooker to, at worst, a shrill philandering nag).

But after seeing the movie, I couldn't help but asking one question: (Well, two questions if any of you recovering "Alias" addicts out there can tell me how annoying Will Tippin suddenly became this guy?)

Where are all the movies about bachelorette parties?

I can't think of any. But movies about bachelor parties seem to abound, from The Hangover to Very Bad Things to perhaps the first entry in the subgenre, Bachelor Party.


I really liked Bachelor Party, in which a SO young Tom Hanks nearly cheats on his fiance Tawny Kitaen with...his fiance Tawny Kitaen. It's unabashedly '80s (hello, Tawny Kitaen and Adrian Zmed!) and totally fun.

Anyway, I'm not an authority on bachelorette parties. I've only been to one in my life (Holla, Non-Bridesmaid B!) but it included many things I love, like brightly-colored drinks, cute dresses, good friends and a healthy dose of booty-shaking. Here's hoping Hollywood picks up on this untapped comedy gold mine and makes a fun movie about funny women enjoying themselves.

And maybe for a change the men can be the ones sitting at home by the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment