Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ch-ch-changes

I got a new job.

I thought about punctuating that statement with an exclamation point, but the sentiment behind it is still a little bittersweet. The new job is without a doubt sweet. It's a ridiculously opportune chance to take a big step up in my career, and I feel so lucky not only that such a perfect job for me came along, but that the powers-that-be chose me to fill that job. In this economy, I know that kind of serendipity can't be taken lightly, and I can't wait to prove myself to my new bosses.

The bitter part comes when I realize I'll be leaving the people I've spent every weekday with for a long time now. They actually remind me a little bit of the people I've spent every Thursday night with for a long time now.


No one here has ever grilled their foot or held a pizza boy hostage. But some pretty wacky things have happened here under the oversight of our own version of Michael Scott. (Sadly, there is no Dwight equivalent.) I've worked here longer than "The Office" has been on NBC, and leaving undoubtedly will be hard. I guess one upside is that all that guilt I've felt about not having enough space to invite my co-workers won't matter much anymore.

I'm excited by all the challenges and responsibilities my new job will entail, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the stress of taking it all on. Not to mention that with less than six months until the wedding (yay!), I know that the window of time before decisions must be made about certain things (food, chair and table rentals, cake, etc.) is closing quickly. I'm also concerned about accruing enough vacation days for the as-yet-unplanned honeymoon.

With this big step ahead of me, I'm grateful more now than ever for my family, my friends and, of course, The Backyard Groom, who have all helped me make this difficult decision to move forward in my career. Thanks, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment