Friday, May 29, 2009

Ring-a-ding-DANG

I've run into a little problem with my to-be wedding ring. I posted before about the origins of the ring - it belonged to The Backyard Groom's late grandmother and was given to me by his aunt. It's a gorgeous white gold band with small diamonds set in it.


Another thing that makes the ring special is that it's hand-engraved with his grandparents' names and their wedding date. You can see a little bit of that detail here.

How could I run into a problem with such a beautiful (not to mention, free!) ring? Well, it doesn't fit. It's at least a full size too big. When I took it to the jeweller to ask about sizing, they told me that sizing it down to fit my finger will cause the engraving to be lost. Big bummer. They suggested that I just leave the ring as is and always wear the ring with my engagement ring stacked on top to keep it on. That seemed unsecure to me so I asked about soldering them together, and that would destroy the inscription as well.

Now I'm left with two options, neither of which I'm crazy about. Either I keep the ring as is and just deal with the fact that it will always fit loosely below my engagement ring and try not to get it caught on anything. Or I ruin the inscription so it fits perfectly and can then wear it on its own sometimes, like to the gym. I'm afraid if I choose the first, I'll always feel like I'm about to lose the ring, and if I do the second, I'll offend The Backyard Groom's family.

What's a girl to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment