Saturday, May 16, 2009

Our soon-to-be official officiant

I'm really close to the officiant we will be using for our wedding. In fact, he is my dad! Now before you start thinking I'm a preacher's kid, I'm not. The Backyard Dad is getting ordained online (for free!) through the Universal Life Church, making him another Friendor (or Vendad?) we will be lucky enough to have.

The reasons behind this decision were (a) The Backyard Groom and I don't belong to a church in Austin, and (b) we both are a bit on the shy side. Having a stranger marry us just seemed like it would be wrong for the small and intimate wedding we're planning. We don't want to feel awkward and uncomfortable on our wedding day. So when we started discussing alternatives, The Backyard Groom suggested that we ask my dad. And he accepted!

Since this will be The Backyard Dad's first ceremony to perform, we'll pretty much get to design the whole thing from scratch. At first I was a little nervous about this, but then I kept reading recommendations over on Weddingbee for a book called "The Wedding Ceremony Planner."


(source)

Now I'm really excited that we'll get to plan and write every aspect of the ceremony ourselves so it fits us exactly. And we'll have an officiant who cares for us both to make it official.

No comments:

Post a Comment