Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's a nice day for a white wedding wine

Sorry about the title. I couldn't resist.

So earlier this week, I talked about the red wine we picked for the wedding. On the same trip to Spec's when the wine guy picked out our two red options, he also suggested two Texas pinot grigios - one by Llano Estacado and the other by Messina Hof.

Before I got a chance to open these babies, I decided to visit a different Spec's and ask a different wine guy. This time I got a completely different answer. This guy suggested two Texas varietals that would complement barbecue - the McPherson Viognier and the Llano Estacado Chenin Blanc. He said both would be sweeter than the pinot grigios. So here are the four bottles.

I gathered another group of four tasters, and while the two dry white wine drinkers preferred the Llano Estacado Pinot Grigio, the overall consensus was that the crowd-pleasing and sweeter Llano Estacado Chenin Blanc (on the far right) was the winner. And it costs only $5.99 a bottle, which is pretty doggone exciting.

I'm still on the hunt for a Texas sparkling wine, but I haven't found one yet. Any suggestions? If that doesn't work out, I guess a round of champagne tasting is in order next.

Which white wine did you pick?

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to shout out a big THANK YOU for these last two posts! We're serving mainly beer and mixed drinks, but I've been wanting to offer some wine as an option. FI isn't a big wine fan, just me, and I didn't know how to start tasting to choose my wines that would compliment out Texas BBQ meal...you did it for me! I'll be using your suggestions, so thank you, thank you, and thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm so glad that all my wine drinking can be of use, haha! I'm still on the hunt for some Texas sparkling wine to use instead of champagne, so if you come across any, let me know, and I'll do the same. I've already tried two Spec's so I think I'll try Grapevine Market and Twin Liquors before I give up.

    Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete