Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Falling Slowly

(I would promise not to title all my posts with puns and song titles, but I just may not be able to help myself.)

When you've lived your entire life in a state where seasons refer only to variations on the same theme of humidity and heat, you tend to romanticize what you think different times of year must look like elsewhere. Part of me is convinced that by the time Halloween rolls around, every other place but Texas looks like this:




While I know that's not true, I am well versed in this truth: Texas is hot. For example, today it is 90 degrees in Austin. And it's only April. (What gives, Weather? Can you not be restrain yourself until at least late May?) Maybe it's because I think of fall like the photo above that it's always been my favorite season. I guess it's a case of wanting what you can't have.

For not entirely dissimilar reasons, fall is also fellow native Texan The Backyard Groom's favorite season, so the idea of having an outdoor wedding in the fall appealed to us both. But what about the cold November rain? Right now I'm not terribly concerned. By November, the weather in Austin is probably best described as slightly less sweltering. And if it does rain, The Backyard Groom insists that it won't matter, that we'll still be married and just get a little wet in the process.

And after all, that's what umbrellas are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment